Re: [vox-tech] More debian questions

On Sun, 7 Oct 2001, Jay Strauss wrote:
> I have my deb machine sitting behind a linksys firewall/dsl router.  I'm
> forwarding port 22 to my deb machine, no other ports are forwarded.  I can
> ping out from my deb box, but I don't think that the linksys responds to a
> ping from the outside. Do I need to open/forward back for netselect to work?

If you are using your LinkSys to do the NAt / IP Masq thing, and ping from
the rest of the Internet to your Linksys (acting as a NAT Router) is not
responding, then enabling ping from your Linksys is what you are after,
not enabling something on your debian box behind the router.

Check your web based access page for your LinkSys and see if there is an
option for changing the external network presence. (For my linksys
Wireless accesspoint+Router+Firewall rules (limited/weak) and etherswicth
(10/100)  there was a radio button for enabling this presence in the
Advanced section called "Block Wan Requests: enable/disable" where the
default is enable. Once disable was chosen, I was able to ping the linksys
from the outside world (and this opens up some security concerns. For me,
it is not acting as a router/fw to the outside world, just on one of the
4 private subnets behind my linux box firewall and in-house use.

Another thing you may try to examine on your linksys is the option for
"DMZ Host" with your linux box. You may or may not have this feature in
your box. If so, it would probably be in the advanced section.

If you have enabled DMMZ hosting to your debian box, then there would be a
set of FW rules (ipchains or tables) to limits ICMP traffic.

-ME