From: ME
To: vox-tech@franz.mother.com
Sent: 10/6/2001 8:46 PM
Subject: Re: [vox-tech] DHCP and DNS

On Sat, 6 Oct 2001, Holland, Matt wrote:
> So, the question is, can I make my DHCP server (I'm using dhcp
3.01bpl12)
> send this information by some magic configuration, or do I need to
upgrade,
> or am I stuck entering the DNS server addresses manually?

One more thing. If you are using WINS for some client DNS and want to
set
WINS with DHCP, and have samba with WINS support, and want to go that
route, check out other options:

# For the different node types:
#1 = B-node, 2 = P-node, 4 = M-node, 8 = H-node
# 8=H-node is hybrid (if unsure, use this)
option netbios-node-type 8;
option netbios-name-servers 1.2.3.6,1.2.3.7;

(Not sure if they ever got around to documenting this feature in v3
dhcpd
from isc. Both of these work as far back as v2 and should work in v3 too
AFAIK)

Be careful not to package too much data for the return packket since
many
clients do not specify Max Message Size vis dhcp/bootp standards so the
server will revert to the min size (576 bytes for message payload, I
think, can't recall) and will truncate the data to your clients (you can
use a sniffer to see what gets truncated, of you want.) You will likely
not run into this quickly, but just be aware of it if you notice that
things work fine for each tested addition, but after you add "just one
more thing" they start to break dhcp service.

Clients that dont specify vendor special options (56? 57?) for max
acceptable DHCP client message size fall back to the minimum message
size.

How did I find out about this? Reverse engineering of netbooting
Macintosh machines from a Mac OS X Server and testing migration from a
Linux box running netatalk :-)

http://mike.passwall.com/macnc/

-ME

decode: http://www.ebb.org/ungeek/ about: