Re: [vox-tech] nic install problems

On Sat, 6 Oct 2001, Kai Harris wrote:

> I'm a newbie trying to install a D-Link DFE 530TX+ Rev.D2 network adapter.
                                                   ^
use via-rhine module, not rtl8139.

> The driver for this card is rtl8139.  When I did an 'insmod rtl8139' I got an
> error message: "init_module: device or resource busy".  Why would I get this
> error message and where can I find out if it is actually busy?  I'm not even
> really sure what questions I should be asking.  I dont know if this is
> related, but when I tried to compile a new version of the same driver, I get
> a whole bunch of error messages:
> linux/config.h: no file or directory
> linux/version.h: no file or directory
> linux/module.h: no file or directory
> linux/kernel.h: no file or directory
> linux/sched.h: no file or directory
> linux/string.h: no file or directory
> linux/timer.h: no file or directory

While the immediate problem with this is that you don't have the linux
kernel headers installed, in general I think this is pretty unlikely to
work. You need to have installed your kernel source, configured it, and
compiled it, before you can compile a module to add to the kernel. (And of
course, you must install the kernel and base modules and reboot your
machine before you can think of insmodding your new module. Most distros
distribute binary kernels and modules for which the compilation options
are unknown.  You must use a consistent set of compilation options for the
kernel and modules to work together, so these must be set before compiling
additional modules.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing