Re: [vox-tech] Building a computer

Taking this another step I would:
1	Figure out your end goal with this machine
	a	Gaming machine
	b	programming
	c	learning
2	Figure out your budget.
	a	remember some parts can be had really cheap, but if you are making a
gamers box you will want to spend a little extra on a video card or you will
have an awesome gaming machine in 800x600 only :-)
	b	If you are going to be using this for programming and networking pick a
mother board that is stable and stay away from overclocking IMHO it can if
not set up properly affect your stability.
	c	Buy memory it is dirt cheap right now I am running 1GB of 133MHz memory
and I spent a whopping $70.00 plus tax for it.
	d	If money is tight buy a cheap sound card and speakers and upgrade later
again IMHO.
	e	check your distro of choice and make certain you have compatible hardware.
You may get the video card of the gods and have crappy performance because it
is not supported yet.
	f	buy a decent sized hard drive again they are running very cheap right now
you can get a 40GB Hard Drive for around a $100.00.
3	If you know what you want to do with your computer choose a distrobution
that is well sopported and stay away from the off distros this way you can
get more help online and on this list.
	a	Debian always a great choice IMHO
	b	Mandrake and SuSE have just come out with some incredible new distros.
Mandrake 8.1 is very stable and user friendly. While Red Hat 7.2 is more
business oriented IMHO, but some swear by it.
	c	There are other choices read reviews online, but stick with one of the
four I have mentioned you will be the better for it. However if you are
attracted to distro XYZ and you just have to try it out download it and try
out the free version first then if you really like it go out and buy it so
they can continue to make it IMHO.
4	As the IF coordinator I would be hard pressed not to metion if you run into
problems and need help sing up for the Install Fest at
http://www.lugod.org/if and we can work out the bugs for you.
5	Most important have fun :-)

Rusty
if@lugod.org