[vox-tech] Building a computer

Attempted to send this before, but hadn't properly added myself to
the list, so it didn't go through.  Pete has been offering me some
suggestions, but I'd like other angles on this as well.

Thanks in advance,
Alex

Original post:
Hi.  I'm a relative newbie to the universe of geekdom, but want to
jump into things.  I know I met some of you at the LUGOD meeting with
the lecture on Mac OSX.  I'm a longtime Mac user myself, but want to
make the switch to Linux.  First, though, I'm interested in building
myself a PC on which to install Linux.  Never having done anything like
this before, I really don't know where to look for hardware, what exactly
I'll need, or how to decide among whatever options exist.  So, if any
of you can offer guidance, etc., it would be much appreciated.  If
someone would be willing to guide me through this step-by-step, that
would be even better.

As a sidenote (I don't know how much it really matters), I don't have
a car.

Thanks in advance!
--Alex(andra) Thorn

"This is exactly the kind of high-tech