[vox-tech] weird boot message

I've got Mandrake 8.1 running on my Celeron 700 MHz laptop and, while
staring stupidly at the login message one morning, I noticed that it
reported a 197 MHz CPU.  This morning, it says it lives on a 287MHz
CPU.  This is what dmesg says as well.

Does anyone have any idea how it comes up with these numbers?  More
importantly, is there any reason to suspect that it hinders the
subsequent operation at all?  Does anything use this information?

All help appreciated!

Aaron