hotswapping SCSI (was: Re: [vox-tech] hotswapping an IDE drive?)

hotswapping SCSI (was: Re: [vox-tech] hotswapping an IDE drive?)

On Fri, Oct 26, 2001 at 12:03:21PM -0700, Foo Lim wrote:
[...]
> BTW, how do servers with hot-swappable SCSI drives deal with this?  Does
> this mean power supply manufacturers will soon be releasing better and
> more flexible power connectors for regular consumption?  (I wouldn't hold
> my breath.)

The drives sit inside a specialized receptacle. When removing a drive, you
deactivate the drive on the RAID array's control panel, then remove it. (It
have some of these that are supposed to be hot-swappable but I've never
actually DONE it.) I can only surmise that the array has some circuitry that
prevents power spikes while swapping. Perhaps also the metal drive receptacle
may have some grounding value.

It goes without saying that hot-swappable SCSI drives are about as different
from regular IDE hardware as it gets ;-). Also note that most SCSI drives and
controllers do not tollerate hot swapping.

If your hardware supports a suspend mode, you may be able to suspend then
swap hardware. The hardware is effectively powered off so it is not really
hot-swapping but you can save your uptime :-).

--
Henry House