Re: [vox-tech] Re: Athlon + Soltek + RH7.2 won't boot

Re: [vox-tech] Re: Athlon + Soltek + RH7.2 won't boot

begin: Foo Lim <fwlim@ucdavis.edu> quote
> On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>
> > > Before the upgrade I noticed dmesg says there is a spurious
> > > interrupt on IRQ 7 but that has been there for quite a while.
> >
> > i get that alot too on my amd system.  it happens with every boot.
>
> Really?  I don't see this in any of my systems.

it only happens right after a boot.

> BTW Pete, did you say kernel 2.4.12 doesn't compile with the parport
> module?  It does for me...

i used the wrong language -- there's a bug in the linus (not alan) kernel
makefile.  the parport build problem is dependent on some set of conditions.
i don't know what they are, but they're undoubtedly posted to the
linux-kernel mailing list.  so it's not parport.c itself.

i've compiled 3 kernels on 2.4.12, and all of them bugged out on parport.

btw, i've heard that kernel source and binaries that distros use are almost
exclusively alan cox kernels...

pete