Re: [vox-tech] Re: Athlon + Soltek + RH7.2 won't boot

On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> begin: Paul Miller <paul@localhost.localdomain> quote
> > I am (unsuccessfully so far)  trying to get an Athlon 1.4G machine
> > with a SolteK Socket A SL-75DRV motherboard upgraded from RedHat 7.1
> > to 7.2.

Perhaps it's 7.2, then.

> > The system was working, but it often hangs on startup and does not
> > bring up the display. I was hoping the upgrade might fix that problem.
>
> fwiw, i had misery with amd architecture until two things happened:
>
> 1. got an amd approved power supply
> 2. got an amd approved heatsink and fan (got the "coolermeister")

Good points.  However, I guess I've been lucky that I didn't have to be
that careful when choosing my PS.  I just made sure I got 250Ws for the
600 & 800, and 300Ws for the 1.2 & 1.4.  (No, I don't have all 4 of them..
I built some of them for others.)  For the heatsinks, I just made sure the
label said they were designed for the Athlon & my speeds.

> > Here is where it fails.
> >
> > Verifying DMI Pool Data .............
> > Boot from ATAP[graphic symbol shows here) CDROM :
>
> i submit that this has nothing to do with linux -- it looks like your bios
> is just about done posting and updating the plugnplay info before passing
> control over to whatever the system is going to boot off of.

Perhaps you should update your BIOS or at least go into your BIOS to set
the "Update EDCS" (??; forgot the acronym here) to "Yes" so it'll rewrite
the settings.

To update your BIOS, you should go to VIA's website (I think the Soltek
uses a VIA chipset), find the directions and follow them.  You might need
to make a DOS boot disk to get the flash update utility to run.  Look for
a link to a website for bootdisks in previous postings on this list.  Do
this as a last resort, though.

> > Before the upgrade I noticed dmesg says there is a spurious
> > interrupt on IRQ 7 but that has been there for quite a while.
>
> i get that alot too on my amd system.  it happens with every boot.

Really?  I don't see this in any of my systems.

> pete

BTW Pete, did you say kernel 2.4.12 doesn't compile with the parport
module?  It does for me...

[foo 2.4.12]$ dmesg | grep par
Unknown bridge resource 0: assuming transparent
Unknown bridge resource 1: assuming transparent
Unknown bridge resource 2: assuming transparent
parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [PCSPP(,...)]
parport_pc: Via 686A parallel port: io=0x378

Altho this is interesting:

[foo 2.4.12]$ dmesg | grep Athlon
CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) Processor stepping 04
Trying to stomp on Athlon bug...
[foo 2.4.12]$ dmesg | grep -i via
Applying VIA southbridge workaround.

Off to google we go..