[vox-tech] mount difficulties

Hey all,

I seem to have lost the ability to mount CDs on my dual-boot system under
Linux (Red Hat 7.1).  I can play and rip audio CDs, and I can read CDs in
Windows, but whenever I issue "mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom" or
just "mount /mnt/cdrom", I get the incredibly informative error:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom or too many
mounted file systems

The /dev/cdrom line in /etc/fstab reads:

/dev/cdrom	/mnt/cdrom	iso9660	ro,user,noauto,unhide 0 0

And of course I've tried lots of other combinations of options that work on
other machines, to no avail.  As for the error, I'm pretty puzzled, because
I've tried lots of combinations of options, I know the filesystem type is
correct, I know the media is fine (works under Windows and on other Linux
boxes), and I can loopback mount iso filesystems from *.iso images to my
heart's content (so I can't imagine that there are too many mounted
filesystems).

Any ideas?

Oh, yes, I was also wondering, when you make changes to /etc/fstab, do they
take effect immediately the next time you try to mount the device, or do you
have to tell the os to reread /etc/fstab?  This would be good to know for
troubleshooting.

Thanks,
Matt