January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox-tech] To Dual Boot...???

At Friday, 21 September 2001, Ryan wrote:

>I don't belive windows like's living on a second HD. You could pull
it off
>with PowerQuest's BootMagic iirc.

Windows is perfectly happy being relegated to the dusty corners of
hdb on my system. Linux has been my primary master drive for years.
There is no problem putting Windows on the primary slave. When you
install Windows, install it while the drive is primary master. Then
rejumper the drive to be slave. Then install Linux. Most modern distros
will even pick up the right lilo.conf lines to use. If it doesn't,
here's what works with recent lilo versions:

other = /dev/hdb1
  label = win98
  map-drive = 0x80
   to = 0x81
  map-drive = 0x81
   to = 0x80
  table = /dev/hdb

The map-drive directive is for BIOS to trick Windows into thinking
it is on the primary master drive.

Shwaine the Wandering Arch of Malevolence
http://www.malevolence.com        telnet://mud.malevolence.com:3000