Re: [vox-tech] How/Way?

On Thu, 20 Sep 2001, Tom wrote:

> Is there a way to tell if the network card is enabled?
> (way to tell if Linux 'sees' the Network card?)

If support for your network card is compiled into the kernel, look for a
message in the startup messages (you can use dmesg to look at these after
startup).

In the more common case, the kernel is compiled with network card support
as modules.  In this case, you can look at the output of "lsmod" to tell
if the module is loaded.  If you have more than one of the same
kind of network card, a single module will usually support all of
them.  If it doesn't, the problem may be that you need to run a
configuration program on the cards, with one in the machine at a time, to
insure that they don't conflict.  For some older modules, the modules may
have to be loaded once for each card, but that is unusual for modern
hardware.

Once you have confirmed that the kernel is supporting your hardware, you
have to configure the (logical) network.  There are various gui interfaces
for doing this, or it can be done from the command line.  This involves
giving each network card an ip address, mask, and broadcast address, which
may be done by you (static) or by servers on the network (PPP over
Ethernet or DHCP).  If your setup is static, you may have to configure the
nameservers for the computer to translate DNS names into ip addresses in
/etc/resolv.conf.

> And if not, do I have to Install again, watching to see that the eth0
> square is checked...? Or, can I add-to the kernal and re-boot?

The main reason to install again is that you don't like the distribution
you chose first.  Or, if you want practice making all the choices the
install sequence offers you.  Otherwise, you can almost always fix things
while the computer is running.  In fact, the only reason to reboot is to
leave the computer off for awhile (save power), to replace the kernel, or
to prove to yourself that your startup sequence is working properly.

Check out http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Networking-Overview-HOWTO.html.
This file may be installed on your hard disk by default somewhere in
/usr/doc.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing