Re: [vox-tech] To Dual Boot...???

On Thu, 20 Sep 2001, Tom wrote:

> Should I (also spelled Can I) put LILO on current disk that Linux is on
> and point it toward the Other HDrive with Window for Windows Boot?
> (should I?)

It depends.  I think you *have* to put LILO on the master drive (as
opposed to the slave drive.)  So if you make the Linux drive the master,
then yes, you can.  If you make the Windows drive the master, then you can
put LILO on the Windows drive, but that has some potential consequences,
like if you reinstall Windows then LILO gets wiped.  Making Linux the
master drive should be fine, but it's best to have Windows as the first
partition of the master drive; and it also gets confusing if you use FDISK
under Windows.

> Or should I go ahead and Install Win98 on the Same Drive with Linux and
> 'Share' the Other HDrive with Both the Newer Win98 & Linux?

This is probably the safest, but the nice division between Linux and
Windows is gone :(

I always recommend putting Linux on a partition boot block (e.g., hdaN,
not hda) and setting that partition as the booting parting.  I never
recommend putting it on master boot record because Windows and other OSes
(like OS/2, Ajay :) will wipe it out without telling you if you try to
[re]install them.

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim