Re: [vox-tech] apt-get secure?

On Thu, 20 Sep 2001, Hempstah T wrote:

> Signed package support is an upcoming feature for apt-get (iirc).

Do you know the ETA on it?

> But I
> wouldn't really worry about all that stuff too much, it's definitely a

Security: Paranoid isn't paranoid enough...

> stable, they change very infrequently, so you don't need to do daily
> updates.  (weekly should be more than enough.)

According to a discussion on this list a while back, daily updates was a
common thing to do.  Of course, I can certainly resist the peer pressure
and choose to be different.

On Thu, 20 Sep 2001, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> i'm not sure i'd trust redhat's ftp site or rpmfind any more or less
> than debian's package sites.

But since the downloads on Debian's package sites is more frequent over
wider span of time, there is more chance for the crackers to spread their
work.

I can use their auto updates less frequently, but the whole reason I'm
considering Debian is their auto update feature :(

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/mark/