Re: [vox-tech] mutt mailing list support

Re: [vox-tech] mutt mailing list support

rusty, no flames at all.   let me give you the low down on mutt.   mutt can
be summarized by two words:

1. powerful
2. confusing

mutt is like an hp graphing calculator.  its learning curve is very steep,
but what you get in return is near infinite utility.

it took me about 2 weeks to get fully comfortable with mutt, and a large part
of that is because EVERYTHING is configurable with mutt.  i'm not even sure
the author of mutt knows all the features.

if you switch over to mutt, expect to ask alot of questions and do alot of
reading, especially if you're an incessant tinkerer, like i am.

word of advice: if you use vim, seek out another vim user who uses mutt.
we've all configured mutt to use vim key bindings which will take you a long
way towards getting comfy with mutt.  i'm such a person.  i think henry is
also.

another word of advice: if you switch over to mutt, it will be the perfect
opportunity for you to learn how to use gpg.  the mutt/gpg interface is
seamless.

elm is good client.  simple, intuitive and has enough features to keep the
average person satisfied.  there are some features that elm doesn't have
that i needed, which is why i moved on to...

pine is also a good client.  fairly simple, fairly intuitive and has a lot of
features.  some of the more advanced features are hard to use correctly (have
you ever tried to change your From: header with pine?  in some cases, you
need to recompile pine to enable the feature AND you have to put a line in
your pinerc which isn't accessible from the pine configure menu.  nuts!

henry was the person responsible for getting me to use mutt.  at first i
hated him for it.  ;)   now, i couldn't thank him enough.  i'm more than very
happy with it.

pete

begin: Roland Minden <rminden@Unilab.com> quote
> I would like to start using a different e-mail program. I have used Pine at
> school and like it, but I have looked at mutt and it seems to have some
> powerful functionality. What are the options for command line e-mail
> software? I would like something far better than mail and would rather not
> have to call sendmail to send e-mail. FYI I use pop3 with my cable modem
> service. Thanks for your advise on this. Please no flame war like I said I
> just want to know what my options are.
>
> Rusty

                    -- Clause from license for FrontPage 2002