Re: [vox-tech] Help with RH Linux 7 Dual-Boot Install

Re: [vox-tech] Help with RH Linux 7 Dual-Boot Install

On Sat, Sep 29, 2001 at 06:47:45PM -0700, Joey Karalius wrote:
[...]
> I want to do a dual-boot install with the slave drive fully dedicated to
>
> Linux.
>
> I have the Osborne Complete Reference for Linux with associated CD-ROMs
> (RH Linux 7, Caldera OpenLinux eDesktop 2.4, and SuSE Linux 7.0)
>
> Questions:
> Do I have everything I need to do this, and can I create a dual-boot
> system?
>
> Are these components compatible for Linux?

Doubtful about the Lexar; all others should be fine.

> What partition sizes would be best, given the size of my drive (30.7GB)?

Big /home, big / + /usr, small /var (this is a home system, right?).

You should consider making both drives masters. Slaves perform poorly. Make
your cdrom a slave or get another controller (they are cheap).

> Is LILO recommended, or should I just boot Linux from a floppy?

Grub of lilo is a must. You will tire of using a floppy.

> The book has fairly complete installation instructions (I think), but if
>
> anyone out there has tips and/or tricks I'd certainly appreciate it.

Read the README your chosen distro supplies and scour the net for tips about
compatibility with your hardware, since it is fairly bleeding-edge. Get a
recent distro like the new Mandrake8.1.

> I've done a small amout of work on Linux systems (a little bit of C
> and Perl programming), but I've never installed or configured a new
> system.
>
> I'm familiar with using only Red Hat, so if anyone has reccomendations
> for the other distributions, I'm all ears.

Debian is best for the experienced user but make for a hard first-time
install. Mandrake is easy to install and is very up-to-date if you get 8.1.

--
Henry House