Re: [vox-tech] C sorting problem

On Mon, Sep 17, 2001 at 05:27:28PM -0700, Takashi Ishihara wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 17, 2001 at 05:11:54PM -0700, Roland Minden wrote:
> > I am working on homework so please don't write it for me, but I am having
> > trouble figuring our my error with a sort for a C program I am writing. it
> > compiles fine, but it is not sorting the way I think it should. The source
>
> It compiles cuz there's no syntax error.
> However, your algorithm is wrong.
> Which line? You must figure it out by yourself.

There's nothing wrong with pointing out the problems in a C program.
Over in comp.lang.c, where we are *very* anti-solve-your-homework, we
always do.  We just don't *fix* the problems.

As a general rule, what is usually okay is: tell the student what
flaws may exist in the code, and, without giving a concrete solution
(especially - no code), talk at an abstract level about what may be
done to solve it; or perhaps hint at it.

Micah