Re: [vox-tech] vfat partition inaccessible to non-root user

Re: [vox-tech] vfat partition inaccessible to non-root user

It didn't work...

An interesting note which might be of use... while in KDE, if I right-click
on the desktop icon for /u1, I see that while the owner is root, all users
have all permissions.  If I open the icon and right-click inside the opened
window, the permissions are very different; but from what I can tell, users
should still have permission to write to the directory.

When I try to create a new directory in KDE by right-clicking inside the
window, I get an error saying that access to the new directory -- e.g.,
u1/Directory" -- is denied.

The listing for hda6 in /dev is as follows:

brwxrwxrwx 1 root disk 3, 6 mar 23 20:37 hda6

All users are members of the group "disk".

The line in fstab now reads,

/dev/hda6	/u1	vfat
defaults,user,exec,dev,suid,sgid,uid=0,gid=80,mode=0775,umask=000	0 0

On Saturday 15 September 2001 07:31 am, you wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Sep 2001, Richard Crawford wrote:
> > $ cd /u1
> > $ pwd
> > /u1
> > $ mkdir test
> > mkdir: cannot create directory 'test': Permission denied
> > $ vi test.txt
> > [ Do some stuff to the file ]
> > [ Trying to write the file yields, "test.txt" Can't open file for writing
> > ] $ cd ..
> > $ ls -l
> > drwxr-xr-x	12	root	root	4096	Dec 31 1969	u1
> >
> > u1 is the mount point for /dev/hda6
> >
> > $ umount u1
> > $ mount /dev/hda6 /u1
> > mount: only root can do that
> > $ su
> > [ password ]
> > $ mount /dev/hda6 /u1
> > $
> > $ su root
> > ... password entereed here ...
> > [root]$ cd u1
> > [root]$ mkdir test
> > [root]$ vi test.txt
> > [ do some stuff to test.txt ]
> > [ writing and saving file as root functions normally ]
> > [root]$ su nonroot
> > $ mkdir test2
> > mkdir: cannot creat directory 'test2': Permission denied
> >

> > And so it goes.
> >
> > Is there any additional information that I could provide which would
> > help?
>
> Suggestion:
> Create, or locate a group in /etc/group that you would like to assign
> people to have write access to your vfat partitions.
> Add yourself to this group.
> look at /etc/fstab and modify your vfat partition mount options like so:
>
> /dev/hda1       /mnt/dosc       vfat
> defaults,user,exec,dev,suid,sgid,uid=0,gid=80,mode=0775,umask=002  0 0
>
> (Line may be wrapped)
> You may want to exp. with the umask line, for when trying to untar, or cp
> file attributes from ext2 to vat, it will likely complain with the
> umask. (It can probably be removed)
>
> Many of the options are opbvious, but the "special ones" important to the
> case include te "uid=0,gid=80,mode=775"
>
> What this does is set owner of all vfat files to be root, (assuming root -
> uid0) and group owners to be gid of "80" (which I set on my system to be
> group "vfat") and then mode 775 sets all of the filesdirs to be rwxrwxr-x,
> thought you could choose 770 if you wanted.
>
> This should allow members of group 80 in /etc/grou to write to and read
> from your vfat part, and even mount it if it is not mounted.
>
> Hope this helps,
> -ME

> decode: http://www.ebb.org/ungeek/ about: http://www.geekcode.com/geek.html
>      Systems Department Operating Systems Analyst for the SSU Library

Richard S. Crawford (mailto:rscrawford@mossroot.com)
http://www.mossroot.com
AIM handle: Buffalo2K
"When you lose the ability to laugh at yourself, you lose the ability to
think straight." (Clarence Darrow)