[vox-tech] Q: cool and quiet machines

Hi all,

to build quiet first and cool second pc, there're several tricks.
1. reduce number of periferal devices (on-board everything prefered).
2. use of ram-disk
3. hdd spindown
4. turn off the fans ( power supply, cpu, case, etc)
and
5. mobo + cpu

for mobo and cpu, once via claimed that ther c3 can run w/o fan and
heatsink, but it seems that c3 is not available in the US. In addition,
c3 has poor floating power (but i don't really need it). So, I wonder if
underclocking duron cpus is any better in overall (heat, power consumption
, computing power).  Is there anyone who is running duron/athron (duron
preferable cuz less cache => less heat) underclocked and w/o fan? If so,
what config? i.e. how low should be the frequency of cpu? TIA.

--
Takashi Ishihara                 http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~ishihara
;; The first precept was never to accept a thing as true until I knew it