Re: [vox-tech] brain dead hardware question: power pc vs x86 scsi

On Sun, Sep 09, 2001 at 09:15:15AM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> i just bought a scsi pcmcia adapter for this laptop, and i'd like to see if i
> configured it correctly.  since i'm not at home, i don't have any of my scsi
> devices handy.
>
> however, i do have access to a scsi cd writer and scsi syquest drive which
> are being used on a power pc.
>
> can power pc scsi devices be used on x86 scsi systems?

SCSI is a cross-platform standard. It does not matter if the device was build
for Mac PowerPC, AIX PowerPC, Sun UltraSPARC, DEC Alpha, i386, whatever.
Devices meant to be used with the old Mac build-in SCSI are most likely SCSI
slow SCSI-1 narrow devices; adding such devices to a faster bus may slow the
entire bus to 5Mb/second. Thus, most of my boxes have two SCSI adapters: one
fast and wide for hard drives and one cheap slow card for external devices---
but I digress.

Be sure not to mix differential SCSI with conventional SCSI devices. The two
signalling technologies are completely incompatible. (Differential SCSI is
rather rare except in very big systems. Many SPARCs use differential SCSI. It
allows longer cable lengths.)

You will not be able to read Syquest disks that have been used on a Mac
unless your kernel supports MacOS-style partition tables.

--
Henry House