Re: [vox-tech] how to identify ATA/100 cables?

On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, Mark K. Kim wrote:

> So ATA66 also uses the 80-wire cable... so how does one distinguish ATA100
> from ATA66 cables? (That is, besides reading the label, if any is attached
> :)

The way I understand it, there are two types of cables: 80 and 40 wire
versions.  Any 80-wire IDE cable is equivalent to any other, discounting
the construction quality.

According to http://www.mathercomputers.com/supportbb-fresh.html, you may
in some cases find problems using the 80 wire cables with UDMA33, so you
are safer using 80-wire cables for 66 and 100, and 40 wire cables for any
old hardware you have.  I imagine the backward incompatibility has to do
with the lower impedance of the 80 wire cable.

> -Mark
>
> On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, Jeff Newmiller wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> >
> > > Well, I bought the motherboard that came with the blue IDE connector
> > > before ATA100 came into standard.  Maybe the mobo guys saw that the cable
> > > be useful with at-the-time-draft-probably ATA100 but I doubt it...
> >
> > http://www.directron.com/faqata66.html
> >
> > It is apparently more than just insurance.
> >

> > > -Mark

> > Jeff Newmiller                        The     .....       .....  Go Live...
> > DCN:<jdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.us>        Basics: ##.#.       ##.#.  Live Go...
> >                                       Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing
> > Research Engineer (Solar/Batteries            O.O#.       #.O#.  with
> > /Software/Embedded Controllers)               .OO#.       .OO#.  rocks...2k
> >

> --
> Mark K. Kim
> http://www.cbreak.org/mark/
> PGP key available upon request.