Re: [vox-tech] how to identify ATA/100 cables?

On Wed, 26 Sep 2001, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> dear all,

All not here.  Or, not all here.

> how does one go about identifying flat ribbon cables that are capable of
> supporting ATA/100 drive transfers?

ATA-6 includes the UDMA/100 hardware standard, which calls for standard
40-pin IDE connectors but using 80 conductors, with every other conductor
grounded to improve noise immunity.  The double-density conductors should
be apparent to the observant techie.

> i understand that these cables are different somehow (better shielding?)
> but look exactly like the other cables which can only support ATA/66 and
> ATA/33.   or am i wrong about this?

About right, allowing for the ATA vs. UDMA distinction.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing