Re: [vox-tech] VIM

On Tue, Sep 25, 2001 at 06:08:05PM -0500, Jay Strauss wrote:
> then it takes 3-4 seconds to start.  I don't think this is normal, but oh
> well (if someone has an idea why it's taking a long time, please suggest).

  I've seen this happen before on a Solaris System... I didn't investigate
this very much.  I think what fixed the problem was setting TERM to something
more valid.

> My question is, you guys say great stuff about using vim to edit perl, html,
> xml...but I don't know where to start.
>
> I need to get some sort of syntax file(s) (I think) that defines the syntax
> checking, where do I get it, how do I use it?

  these are called the vim runtime (vim_rt) they are common between versions
and should ba available from the same place you got the vim source.  The place
they are expected gets compiled into the source I think... they should be
installed someplace like: local/share/vim/vim55.

> Can I display colors if I doing vim from the command line (from an xterm)?

add the following to your .vimrc:
  set background=dark
  syntax on

they can be abbriviated
  set bg=dark
  syn on

> Lastly when I start vim, I type <esc>:h and get the help screen.  It splits
> the screen, but what key sequence(s) do I use to control the split screens
> (i.e. close one, open one, dictate where to split, move the split...)?  I'm
> trying to read the help but I only get a couple of lines at a time.

Look for the help section labeled:
  *X_wi*          Multi-window functions