[vox-tech] VIM

Howdy everyone ,

I've always used vi, and fairly familiar with it.  But you guys were talking
about vim so I just loaded vim on my HP-UX.  It was loaded in
/usr/local/bin.  I downloaded it from HPs site.

> uname -a
HP-UX mymachine B.11.00 A 9000/800 <I deleted some stuff here pertaining to
license>

I run vim by

> vim

then it takes 3-4 seconds to start.  I don't think this is normal, but oh
well (if someone has an idea why it's taking a long time, please suggest).

My question is, you guys say great stuff about using vim to edit perl, html,
xml...but I don't know where to start.

I need to get some sort of syntax file(s) (I think) that defines the syntax
checking, where do I get it, how do I use it?
Can I display colors if I doing vim from the command line (from an xterm)?
Lastly when I start vim, I type <esc>:h and get the help screen.  It splits
the screen, but what key sequence(s) do I use to control the split screens
(i.e. close one, open one, dictate where to split, move the split...)?  I'm
trying to read the help but I only get a couple of lines at a time.

Thanks
Jay

Jay Strauss
jjstrauss@yahoo.com