Re: [vox-tech] reiser redux

On Tue, 25 Sep 2001, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> i started converting some partitions to reiserfs.
>
> i've been reading a bit about it, and saw the benchmarks on www.namesys.com.
> admittedly, they are obviously a bit biased, but if you believe the extensive
> benchmarks they give, every linux user should go out and convert their ext2
> partition to reiserfs today.

About 1-2 years ago, I think I looked into reiserfs but found there were
problems with quota support. I also wanted to see if ext3 or reiserfs was
going to be the "winner" in acceptance by locations.

I'd like to see the quota mods make it into the main tree because
fileservers are the ones that often have 100+Gb continuous
partitions/volumes on RAID-5 disk towers. (You ever run ext2.fsck on
multiple ~100Gb volumes during start, even when they are on 160MB/s LVD2
SCSI Busses with RAID-5? It takes for ever!)

If it were not for quota support, we would migrate to use it in more
places.

-ME