Re: [vox-tech] reiserfs question

On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 04:26:57PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> i'm thinking of making some of my partitions into reiserfs partitions.
> i plan on doing some research on the issue tonight, but i'd like to ask
> anyone who has actually made the switch or looked into it themselves:

I have reiserfs on my notebook for all partitions; it works great.

> has anyone heard of any performance penalties for running a journaling
> filesystem?

There are always performance penalties to journaling; reiserfs may still be
as fast or faster that ext2 because its code is more optimized that ext2 and
so save CPU cycles. If you turn off tail-packing (mount with -notail)
reiserfs will be significantly faster but lose its nifty space-saving
feature. A reiserfs (hypothetical) with no journal would be faster still.

> any gotchas i should look out for?

Lilo is confused by tail-packing. Mount /boot with -notail or switch to grub.

> i already know that reiser version 3.6
> can't be mounted by linux 2.2 kernels (which kinds sucks since rescue disks
> tend to be 2.2)

You can override this. To quote Debian's readme:

------> /usr/doc/reiserfsprogs/README.Debian <------
reiserfsprogs for Debian

NOTE: mkreiserfs builds version 3.6 filesystems by default. In order to
create a 3.5 filesystem (i.e., a Linux 2.2-mountable filesystem), you must
provide the -v1 option when invoking mkreiserfs. To reiterate, version 3.6
filesystems are not mountable under Linux 2.2.

--
Henry House