Re: [vox-tech] Redhat/FTP/Win2k Question

On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, Justin Howell wrote:

> Wow, lots of responses already.  OK, to answer some fo the questions sent my
> way.
>
> I already had an entry for my win2k machine in my hosts file.
>
>  FTP is started by xinetd when I start up the machine.
>
> Another probably important tidbit:  The stall only occurs the first time I
> log on from my win2k box.  Once I've done it once, it goes fast.  Shut the
> computer off, turn it back on, it's slow the first time again.

You are describing the interaction between TWO computers.  Which one do
you turn off that causes the problem to reappear?

If the Win2k box, then the problem would seem to be in that box.  Sorry,
can't help you with that.

If the RH box, confirm that there is a line in /etc/nsswitch.conf that
reads "hosts: files dns" with "files" _before_ other methods.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing