Re: [vox-tech] Help on some RH 7.1 problems !

Re: [vox-tech] Help on some RH 7.1 problems !

begin: Jeff Newmiller <jdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.us> quote
> On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, Henry House wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 01:58:05AM -0700, Viswanath P wrote:
> > > Hi LinuxUsers,
>
> [...]
>
> > > 3.)  Whenever I start netscape it took around 4-5
> > > mins.
> > >      to come to normal mode whereby one can type the
> > >      webaddress to load.  It stays idle for a while
> > >      before coming to live.  But, this does not
> > > happens
> > >      with Konqueror or opera.
> >
> > Netscape is, sadly, a program that has a lot of bugs. You might try upgrading
> > to the latest version is 4.78 available from
> > <ftp://ftp.netscape.com/pub/communicator/english/4.78/unix>. Good luck ---
> > I've had lots of frustration with Netscape.
>
> This kind of delay can also occur if the first nameserver listed in
> /etc/resolv.conf is invalid.  It will take about three minutes for the
> system to give up asking each nameserver what the IP address is of the
> host you are trying to connect to and go to the next nameserver.  Two bad
> entries usually yields a six minute delay.

i thought of this, but he said that the problem didn't occur with konquerer
and opera.  he also didn't mention anything wrong with ssh, ping, etc.

it really does sound like a nameserver problem, but it also sounds netscape
specific.  that's why my knee-jerk reaction was to say "netscape must be
trying to use a (non existant) proxy server".

the thing that's really confusing me is that he says the problem comes back a
few days later after deleting the config files.  that makes it sound like
something is modifying .netscape/

could this be a virus on linux?!?

nahhh......   ;-)

pete

> I think you can edit nameservers in linuxconf, but I am not a redhat user
> so I don't know.  I do know you can look in /etc/resolv.conf with any
> editor and check ip numbers against what your ISP tells you.  As far as I
> know, the only "automatic" network protocol that sets these values for you
> is DHCP, which would be used by some ADSL connections but mostly through
> ethernet connections in institutional networks (university, corporate).
> Otherwise, you have to set them yourself based on information supplied by
> your ISP.
>
> If clearing out the netscape configuration files that Peter suggested
> actually fixes the problem, then the nameservers are unlikely to be the
> problem.

> /Software/Embedded Controllers)               .OO#.       .OO#.  rocks...2k

                    -- Clause from license for FrontPage 2002