Re: [vox-tech] Help on some RH 7.1 problems !

On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 01:58:05AM -0700, Viswanath P wrote:
> Hi LinuxUsers,
>
>     I am using RedHat 7.1.  Following are the problems
> which I encounter frequently.  I don't know whether
> these are bugs or my ignorance.  Kindly clarify me.
>
> 1.)  Whenever I lock the screen and if it is idle
>      for more time(5 hrs). then, the display becomes
>      black and I could not see anything in my
> computer.      I have to telnet to this machine quit
> and restart.
>      I have tried to disable both the poweroff in the
>      bios and also the screen saver but in vain.

What program are you using to lock the screen --- xscreensaver or xlock?
Which versions of those? As Schwaine pointed out on another thread, Red Hat
ships from broken xscreensaver modules with its version of Gnome.

> 3.)  Whenever I start netscape it took around 4-5
> mins.
>      to come to normal mode whereby one can type the
>      webaddress to load.  It stays idle for a while
>      before coming to live.  But, this does not
> happens
>      with Konqueror or opera.

Netscape is, sadly, a program that has a lot of bugs. You might try upgrading
to the latest version is 4.78 available from
<ftp://ftp.netscape.com/pub/communicator/english/4.78/unix>. Good luck ---
I've had lots of frustration with Netscape.

--
Henry House