January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox-tech] Help on some RH 7.1 problems !

Re: [vox-tech] Help on some RH 7.1 problems !

begin: Viswanath P <viswap@yahoo.com> quote

> 2.)  Also, sometimes when I use serial port to collect
>      my data under linux the system freezes.  But,
>      this time I could see the display but, could not
>      move the mouse.  Again for this I have to reset.
>      But, now I can't even see it from other machine.
>      I lost both the data and also the time(luckily
> the
>      expt. goes for 4 hrs).

looks to me like a classic symptom of a resource conflict.  next time it
happens, check out your irq's:

	$ cat /proc/interrupts

and the base addresses for the hardware:

	$ cat /proc/ioports

make sure each device has its own irq and its own base address.

i know nothing about serial port programming.  i'm curious -- are you running
the data collection program as root?  is it possible to run it as joe user?

can you tell me what kernel you're running and what motherboard/chipset/cpu
you're using?  i try to keep on top of the changelog from kernel to kernel.

> Kindly give your suggestions to overcome this problem.
>
> thanks
> Viswanath P.

hth!

pete

                    -- Clause from license for FrontPage 2002