Tom's various matters (was: Re: [vox-tech] Loki - CD)

On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 04:03:26AM -0700, Tom wrote:
> Eric said it better than I Peter -but then you want everyone to go through what you did
> (some kind of initiation) - Have Read what I have - what part of a Book
> in Davis does me no good in Sacramento don't you understand Peter?

I'm the LUGOD librarian, and I don't have a car either. I will be happy to
bring the book of your choice to the next meeting (hopefully the carpool can
get organized enough to get you a ride from Sac to Davis before then). I
recommend ``Running Linux'', published by O'Reilly.

> I can only hope to know something you want to some day peter so I can
> tell you to RTFM (since I did)

Thank's great. Some suggestions on how to help others to help you:

* When something doesn't work, tell us exacly what you did and how it failed.
  If you were working on the console or in a terminal window, copy and paste
  the error messages and your preceeding input. If you were using a graphical
  interface, describe exacly what you did and what happened next. Vague
  statements don't help at all.

* since you are trying to run the Loki demo, try running 'ls -l /mnt/cdrom'
  in a terminal window (assuming the cd is mounted at /mnt/cdrom). This will
  show all the files (including executable files) in the cd.

* It is not unheard of for a screensaver to lock up the X server (the
  graphical screen manager), since some of them are written using potentially
  unsafe programming practices (why such programs are included in Red Hat's
  stable distribution is a legitimate question). You can almost always switch
  to the console (press control-alt-f, must be keft alt key), log in as root,
  and either kill the messed up screensaver or reboot.

> Greatly Dissappointed - Tom

Please don't think poorly of Peter. He spends countless hours helping new
Linux users.

> > > And how do I get Book from the Lugod Library with No Car?

See above.

--
Henry House