Re: [vox-tech] Disk Space Command

On Fri, 3 Aug 2001, Robert G. Scofield wrote:
> I've had some kind of crash and the last 50 megs of my hard disk have
> been taken up with something.  I can't find a core file.  However, I
> know that there is a command that will show you which of your files are
> taking up the most space.  Bill posted it once.  Can anybody tell me
> what that command is?

Say you want to find a file larger than 2 Mb...
2 Mb is 2000kb

Use find. Want to search the whole fs and print the results?

# find / -size +2000k -print | more 2>&1
(The 2>&1 allows error to be sent to the pager "more" )

Search from your present working directory? (PWD)
# find . -size +2000k -print | more 2>&1

Search for files larger than 10 Mb which ~10,000k from present dir and
only show output that is stout not stderr:
# find . -size +10000k -print | more

Search for files less than 5 bytes from /home/huhhuh:
# find /home/huhhuh -size -5c -print | more

(c is for character, b would be for block (512 byte blocks)

You get the idea.

See man find for more good filters with find. find good. fire baaaad -
unless you are Beavis. (heh heh hrmmm)

-ME