Re: [vox-tech] Apache timing out

--- Larry Ozeran <lozeran@clinicalinformatics.com> wrote:
> I am new to both apache (1.3) and Linux (RH 7.1). I am having a problem
> where CPU utilization is exceeding 30 seconds and the process is dying
> unfinished. I am organizing a word list (a few thousand unique words)
> culled from a group of articles (currently about 65 with a few hundred
> thousand words) to later be used for rapid searching on our web site. Even
> using B-trees, this still requires a large number of string comparisons. I
> know it is doing useful work and not in an infinte loop by the partial
> output I get as it proceeds. I am not sure how to proceed to change timing
> limits. I know there is an Apache limit, and I suspect there is a Linux
> limit. I found an Apache directive (RLimitCPU) that would appear to address
> this problem, but I can't figure out from the documentation where to put it
> :(

A suggestion (maybe a poor one, but here goes):

Try setting up a VirtualHost with all the same directives as your 'Main' host,
but with your RLimitCPU directive set to something you think is acceptable.  I
usually test _all_ my configurations first in a VirtualHost, on a higher port
(like 8000, or 8080).  I usually do this to separate out the access and error
logs for the new configuration.

BTW, all apache directives can be used just about anywhere.  If you want a
directive to apply in a <Location>, that is where you put your directive, and
so on and so forth for VirtualHosts, Main Hosts, etc (for _many_ directives,
but see the man page).

HTHO,

jan