[vox-tech] Apache timing out

I am new to both apache (1.3) and Linux (RH 7.1). I am having a problem
where CPU utilization is exceeding 30 seconds and the process is dying
unfinished. I am organizing a word list (a few thousand unique words)
culled from a group of articles (currently about 65 with a few hundred
thousand words) to later be used for rapid searching on our web site. Even
using B-trees, this still requires a large number of string comparisons. I
know it is doing useful work and not in an infinte loop by the partial
output I get as it proceeds. I am not sure how to proceed to change timing
limits. I know there is an Apache limit, and I suspect there is a Linux
limit. I found an Apache directive (RLimitCPU) that would appear to address
this problem, but I can't figure out from the documentation where to put it :(

Where do I look in linux to find / set CPU usage limits for users? I've
checked a couple of Linux books, online FAQs and documentation and searched
google. I must be looking for the wrong thing; all I am finding is monitors
that display CPU usage. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Larry

Larry Ozeran
Clinical Informatics, Inc.