January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox-tech] what 's most fun part when use linux?

On Mon, Aug 27, 2001 at 11:28:59PM -0700, William Kendrick wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 27, 2001 at 10:16:17PM +0800, andy huang wrote:
> > i just finish install red hat linuxx 7.0 in my vmware.  i really would like to try linux and have some fun.  anyone has any ideas which part of linux is most interesting, so i can get start?
>
> You're gonna get a hundred different answers. :)

Yes, but all answers probably share one thing, "I can do it".
I've found that many computer fanatics are "control freaks".
Naturally it's very important to have an ability to do certain tasks.
To achieve that goal, knowledge is essential.
As your knowledge increases, you'll find "I can do it better".
But some ppl are too lazy|stupid to improve themselves, they are stisfied
by "it works... (most of times)".

All in all, you must realize the fact that "now I can do it [better]" to
get a satisfaction. In my case, playing with shell, >, <, |, find, sed, awk
is fun; "I can do it faster w/o interaction" while I know windows users (or
those who rely on pointing devices) spend longer time with interaction.

To enhance the satisfaction, you can show off your knowledge on mailinglists,
newsgroups, and irc; while you're showing off how big is your dick, newbies
would appreciate your help, making everybody happy. Isn't it wonderful?
But then, using windows is better for showing off... as there are much more
windows users than any other OS. So, you need to figure out what gives you
the biggest satisfaction.

BTW, I don't use windows.