Re: [vox-tech] Linux as gateway

Terminator wrote:
> I'm trying to let a Redhat 7.1 act as a gateway, following steps are
> what I did on the gateway machine:
> 1. echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
> 2. ensure iptables's all default policies to be ACCEPT, such as FORWARD,
> INPUT, OUTPUT, POSTROUTING...
>
> Then in the internal machines, I set the default gateway to be the
> internal ip address of the gateway.
>
> >From the internal machines, I can ping the internal ip address of the
> gateway, and the external ip address of the gateway. But when I tried
> to ping some other external ip address, it always failed without any
> response.
>
> Anybody can figure out if I did something wrong? Thanks a lot!

And the static routing table for the gateway, you set up the default
route to the external interface, right? If you're not sure, try
"netstat -r", which will show the routes and the subnet masks.

Hope this helps,
Chuck Polisher

--
THIS time it really is fixed. I mean, how many times can we
get it wrong? At some point, we just have to run out of really bad ideas..