Re: [vox-tech] Newbie NIC diagnostics

begin: Chuck Polisher <cpolish@ns.net> quote
> Donald Dunn wrote:
> >
> > Looking for an source of info (online preferred) for diagnosing Linux
> > ethernet,TCP/IP NIC configurations.  I could just ask my question,
> > but I'd rather do it myself.
>

> The "NAG" : Linux Network Admin's Guide:
> http://www.linuxdoc.org/LDP/nag/nag.html

i second this recommendation whole heartedly.  i've never seen a more gentle
introduction to networking.

i believe there's a "nag-2", that was just released within the past year.
people were complaining that the NAG, although extremely well written, was a
bit out of date.  nothing too major.   eg, 8 years ago, perhaps most readers
WOULD be interested in UUCP.  most people prolly don't even know what UUCP
stands for...  anyway, they belabor uucp a bit too long in nag 1 (i assume
this is the kind of change in nag 2.  haven't seen it myself).

it also has the benefit of not being paifully slow.  moves at a brisque pace,
and is easy to comprehend.  the authors did a great job.  (you can buy it
from o'reilly as well as download a free copy).

pete