[vox-tech] Re: linux pre questions

> Hello everyone,
>
>  Win98 crashed (pushing me back to a Win95 backup) and I figured this
> was a good time to see about swtiching to Linux - I have some 'Pre'
> Questions to Help me with the swap, Please:
>
> 1) Are there any bare Linux Boxes that are Reasonable to Recommend?

not really.  linux runs on just about anything.  there are a few sound cards
that don't have drivers, but they're rare.  i think the alsa website has a
list.

what you need to watch out for the most are:

1. laptops.  linux installs on all of them, but some laptops are friendlier
   than others.  look to the linux-laptops website.  (bill, we should have a
   links page for canonical linux websites).

2. modems.  most pci modems are winmodems.  you don't really want winmodems.

3. parallel port scanners - some are supported, some aren't.  the sane site
   should have a list.

can't think of anything else.  anyway, these are the 3 things that come to
mind.  anything else should be no problem.

most important tip:
when buying parts or a whole computer, you should ALWAYS make sure you get
$$ back guarentee.  whether you actually install linux or not.

> 2) Am thinking of a new mother board, any considerations?
> (Have a 733 mhz that I'd like to be a Workstation for now)

depends.  what processor do you have (want to get)?

pete