Re: [vox-tech] latex and dvipdf question

On Wed, Aug 22, 2001 at 12:11:19PM -0700, Micah Cowan wrote:
> I *strongly* recommend that if you don't have it already, get pdftex,
> and use pdflatex to  do the work, rather than outputting a dvi and
> then converting to PDF, which loses some useful information (pdftex
> can do those cool bookmark sidebars, dvi AFAICT can't).  Chances are,
> you've already got pdftex set up on your system.
>
> Also, bash has a "temporary FIFO" construct that should do what you
> need - although if latex expects to be able to seek in the file, you
> can forget it (actually, this could be an excellent reason why it
> wouldn't support piping).  But give it a try:
>
> pdflatex <( ./parser.pl )

What Micah said.

Also, you might try using the 'times' package or the wrapper command
'pslatex' instead of 'latex'. This will use the less-attractive Times family
instead of Computer Modern for all font needs. This means smaller, more
compatible PDFs because

   * Times is a standard font; all PDF viewers come with Times or a workalike

	* Adobe's PDF viewer has trouble with Type 3 fonts, which TeX fonts
	  converted to PDF/ps are. Don't ask me why Adobe doesn't implement their
	  own spec. The symptom is fuzzy, illegible text.

--
Henry House