Re: [vox-tech] startx problems

On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, andy huang wrote:

> i just installed redhat linux 7.0 to vmware, when i tried to use startx,
> it says can't open mouse (no such device)  how can i add a mouse?

The "mouse" has to jump through some hoops to get connected to the pointer
on your screen, and depending on which choices you made along the way, the
missing hoop(s) in your circus could be in a number of places.  Here are
the ones that occur to me:

a) VMWare: Is your virtual machine configured to pass mouse movements from
your physical mouse to the vm? (Settings|Configuration Editor)

b) Inside the vm: does your installation have a /dev/psaux device node?
Most likely it does, but confirm ( ls -l /dev/psaux )

c) Does it have a symbolic link from /dev/mouse to /dev/psaux?
(ls -l /dev/mouse)

d) Did you enter "mouse" instead of "/dev/mouse" somewhere? Check that
your /etc/XF86Config or similar has the "/dev/" part... programs rarely
add that internally.