[vox-tech] ISO8859-1 font problem

I seem to have screwed up my X fonts somehow -- most of the common X
programs from the xbase-clients package (xmessage, xdvi, xedit,
xfontsel, xman, etc.) all give the following message when I try to run
them:

	Warning: Unable to load any usable ISO8859-1 font
	Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet confersion
	Warning: Unable to load any usable fontset
	Segmentation fault

Other X programs (built with gtk, qt, kde, etc.) all work properly.

I am running XFree86 4.1 under Debian (sid).  I do not run xfs or any
other font server.   My XF86Config-4 file loads the "type1" and
"freetype" modules and points to various font paths under
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/.  I have the the following font packages
installed:

mattrope@poseidon:~$ dpkg --get-selections | grep font
gsfonts                                         install
gsfonts-x11                                     install
psfontmgr                                       install
xfonts-100dpi                                   install
xfonts-75dpi                                    install
xfonts-base                                     install
xfonts-scalable                                 install

I'm not sure exactly when this problem began, but I'm pretty sure
everything was working properly a month or so ago.  I don't recall
changing anything recently that could have caused this problem...  It's
probably something stupid that I'm overlooking.  Can anyone give me some
insight?

Matt

--

* Matt Roper <matt@mattrope.com> *