Re: [vox-tech] LUGOD Newbie Seeks Help

begin: Richard Crawford <rscrawford@mossroot.com> quote

> I'd like to avoid re-installing Linux on this computer (I'm afraid of
> wiping out my MBR as I've done to other computers in the past).
>
> Any thoughts?  Anyone?  HELP!!!

here are the options:

1. read about lert (see lugod website).
2. go to the vox-tech list archives.  i believe we have an extensive thread
   on dual booting with win2k and winnt.  it was quite good.
3. get rid of windows (best option.  why do you need it?)
4. here's notes i took after researching 2k/nt dualbooting with linux.
    haven't tried it yet, though.  ymmv.

echo<<EOF

II. Dual booting with Windows 2000 and Windows NT

Windows NT and 2000 uses the NTloader program.  If you install Linux after
NT/2000 and allow lilo to reside on the partition that contains the MBR,
you'll write over NTLDR, which is a file that NT/2000 needs to boot up.
If you already did this, you'll need to read the HOWTO to obtain the Bootpart
program to fix NTloader.

According to Google, you can restore a hosed NT loader by grabbing a win98
boot disk, boot to the floppy and run: A:\fdisk /mbr.

Assuming you installed lilo to your linux partition, your machine will boot
to the normal NT boot options.  To be able to boot Linux without a boot
floppy, you need to edit the Windows file boot.ini to show NT where Linux is.

1. Boot into Linux with your boot disk.
2. Copy the boot sector information from the Linux partitionto bootsect.lnx.

      dd if=/dev/hdax of=/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1

   where hdax is the linux partition.  Copy this to a DOS formatted floppy

      mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /floppy
      cp bootsect.lnx /floppy
      umount /mnt

3. Reboot the machine into Windows NT/2000 and copy bootsect.lnx to C:\
4. Find and edit boot.ini.  This is roughly what the file looks like:

[boot loader]
timeout=5
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows NT Workstation Version
4.00"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows NT Workstation Version
4.00 [VGA mode]" /basevideo /sos

   If you're on Windows 2000, it'll say Windows 2000, not NT Workstation.

5. Add the following line and save boot.ini:

     c:\bootsect.lnx="Linux "

6. Reboot and cross your fingers.
EOF