Re: [vox-tech] Question on CDROM compatibility during install

On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 09:31:28AM -0700, Donald Dunn wrote:
> I'm trying to install Mandrake SNF the firewall Linux on an Intel box.
> The boot disk gives me a message that no CD-ROM is found.
> I am presented with a list of only 10 specific CD-ROM's and
> also a "IDE CD'.  When I try these using "Autodetect"
> all come back with device not found.  There is an
> option to add additional information.  I don't see
> in the doc what I can add here.  I have tested this
> on a number of PC's at home.   All same results.
>
> Is there a way to get generic CD-ROM's to work?

Generic cdrom = ATAPI (IDE). It should be a simple matter of 'modprobe
ide-cd'. If the kernel doesn't detect the cdrom you may have one of the
dreaded non-atapi, non-scsi drives, which use various proprietary, bizarre
interfaces. They were quite common years ago. Is this an old machine?

Many of these drives are supported; check Linuxdoc for info. You may be
better off ordering a cheap IDE cdrom, though, if you value your time highly.

A kernel log from the failed install may be useful if you can post it.

--
Henry House