Re: [vox-tech] Mandrake 8.0 and ADSL

On Sun, 12 Aug 2001, Ashwini Raina wrote:

> Someone sugegsted the following:
>
> [...]
>
> On my SuSE (kernel 2.4.4-4GB) this directory:
> /lib/modules/2.4.4-4GB/kernel/driver/net
> contains natsemi.o. Find the correct directory (you can use find file), change to the directory and type:
> root% strings natsemi.o|grep natsemi.c
> I get version 1.07, which is the correct version. I don't know the exact directory location for Mandrake 8.
>
> According to Netgear support site, you need to install the correct
> drivers for kernel 2.4:
> [...]
>
> Now the only problem is, being a Linux novice, I don't know how to
> check the version # on Mandrake.

You can use the find command to locate the module.  It will most likely
be in /lib/modules, but this will do a search on the entire system:

# find / -name "*natsemi*" -print

Then you can run the commands as suggested above.

> To end, I have used both dhcp and static IPs, tried the router for the
> gateway and also used the ISP DNS server directly. When I pull the
> router out of the picture and plug the DSL modem directly into the
> NIC, everything is fine, no packet loss, no errors, nothing.

This and the fact that even the Windows driver doesn't work leads me to
believe that your router has some problems.  Try plugging your system into
a different port on the router and see if you get different results.
Perhaps the port you plugged into was bad.  If not, perhaps your router is
bad.  Try upgrading the firmware.

> -ashwini

Best of luck,
FL