Re: [vox-tech] Mandrake 8.0 and ADSL

Thanks for the reply Foo. I will reply in detail but I tried out both configurations: the DHCP and the static config. Btw, my setup is similar to yours, static ip 192.168.0.5 and gateway is 192.168.0.1 and DNS is 168.150.253.2 and subnet is 255.255.255.0

I think the issue here is something different than IPs and DNS. I can ping sites fine, but with heavy packet loss. Hell, I can't even telnet/web browser into my router without a period of long delay. So there is something wrong with the NIC/router interface.

In any sort of data transfer, this is what kills me:

Foo:           RX packets:10679 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
Ashwini:    RX packets:10679 errors:2963 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 (an example).

Someone sugegsted the following:

[quote]
apparently the FA311/FA312 may require installing different drivers than supplied with kernel 2.4. You'll need to verify that Mandrake is loading the appropriate driver and it is the correct version. The driver is "natsemi" and version 1.07 or later is required.

If you don't have the correct driver, you'll need to update (I had same problem with Intel motherboard NIC until kernel 2.4 was released).

Here is how to quickly check:
user> su -
password:
root% lspci
this returns all PCI devices, look for the Ethernet card
root% lsmod
this returns all loaded modules, you should see natsemi
root% modprobe -c | grep eth0
you should see alias eth0 natsemi

Now if you have natsemi displayed in the output of "lsmod" you may not have the correct v1.07 driver.

On my SuSE (kernel 2.4.4-4GB) this directory:
/lib/modules/2.4.4-4GB/kernel/driver/net
contains natsemi.o. Find the correct directory (you can use find file), change to the directory and type:
root% strings natsemi.o|grep natsemi.c
I get version 1.07, which is the correct version. I don't know the exact directory location for Mandrake 8.

According to Netgear support site, you need to install the correct drivers for kernel 2.4:
"The chipset used in the FA311/FA312 is National Semiconductor. Installation instruction for NICs with this chipset can also be found at
www.scyld.com/network/ethercard.html"

From the referenced website...
"Note that driver versions before v1.07, including the driver in the 2.4 kernel, do not have adaptive Tx theshold setting. A transmit FIFO error will causes the transmitter to stop."

[/quote]

Now the only problem is, being a Linux novice, I don't know how to check the version # on Mandrake.

To end, I have used both dhcp and static IPs, tried the router for the gateway and also used the ISP DNS server directly. When I pull the router out of the picture and plug the DSL modem directly into the NIC, everything is fine, no packet loss, no errors, nothing.

-ashwini