Re: [vox-tech] Mandrake 8.0 and ADSL

On Sun, Aug 12, 2001 at 12:32:25AM -0700, Ashwini Raina wrote:
[snip]
> Needless to say when the modem is plugged in, there are 0 errors and there is no packet loss.
>
> I'd be grateful if someone could suggest a fix. Thanks.

This is just speculation, but isn't MDK8 using a 2.4 kernel? (Run uname -r.)
Kernel 2.4 includes a networking feature called ``explicit congestion
notification'', which is designed to save the net from constant congestion by
offering a way for remote routers to signal the requesting host that they are
experiencing congestion and the requesting host should step back its
transmission rate. Unfortunately there is a lot of broken equipment out there
that does not like the ECN protocol and will drop packets.

You may check this by running 'echo "0" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn'. If the
file exists your kernel uses ECN and it has been turned off. You may then see
whether your problems have gone away.

--
Henry House