RE: [vox-tech] HD xfer

On Sat, 11 Aug 2001, Foo Lim wrote:
> I called WD tech support today, and the person mentioned that perhaps my
> drive cable was bad.  He also mentioned that my controller may be bad
> also, but that's unlikely, since I have a Maxtor hooked up as slave
> without any problems.
>
> He suggested I turn on my system without cables and see if it still
> clicks.  If it doesn't, then I should get a new cable, which I will have
> handy.  If it does, he seemed willing to give me a RMA, since it's still
> under warranty.
>
> Let's hope for the best when I try this on Monday.

If you have not opened up the case to verify the sound is coming from the
HD itself, I have seen cases where one of the drive cables, power cables
or sound cables is barely touching the FAN on the power supply or CPU and
*that* is the actual source of the sound. I was working on the assumption
that your knew it was coming from the HD. :-/

Sorry about that.

As for bad controller, In the many, many machines I have ever fixed,
examined, setup, etc. I have only had to fix 2 failed controllers: one was
integrated and the other was external "VLB". On the other hand, the number
of failed drives has been in double digits somewhere. On the cables being
bad? Never found that to be the case, but it is a possibility. Less remote
if the system has functioned fine and then just suddenly started having
problems.

-ME