Re: [vox-tech] HD xfer

On Sat, 11 Aug 2001, Eric wrote:
[chop]
> maybe tear it apart to learn more about hard drives!
[chop]

That is part of what I have done to things when they break to try to
figure out how any why the broke. Mechanical failures are easiier to
visually trace and do not require much inb the was of Oscilliscopes :-)

Also, you can make great Art! I have an old nonfunctional Sun 3/60
motherboard dangling by a corner fron the ceiling with some untwisted Cat
5 cable. Attached to the bottom of the diamond positioned board are disks
taken from an old fashioned 20Mb wide-mount hard drive. (Yes, you read
that right, 20 Megabytes, not gigabytes. It was a drive from an old IBM XT
clone that died about 6 years ago.) When you blow on the disk platters,
the smack each other and make wind chime sounds.

You got old junk that does not work? disassemble it! It is sooo much fun!

=ME