[vox-tech] HD xfer

Hi all,

My HD is on the fritz.  It's clicking quite loudly, and even though the
Western Digital diagnostics program says there's nothing wrong, I am going
to transfer everything over to another drive.  I'll be following the
guide mini-HOWTO for hard drive upgrading:
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Hard-Disk-Upgrade/index.html

But I have a few questions, specifically in regards to the contents in the
actual copying part:
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Hard-Disk-Upgrade/copy.html

1. I'll probably be booting from a Redhat 6.2 CD and copying one partition
at a time, so I guess I can use the first option?
# [cdrom's root] cp -ax /mnt/old-disk-part1 /mnt/new-disk-part1

2. Would the -x option also copy the stuff in /proc?

3. What was the bug in the tar method?  Also, what was the tar method?

4. Any other caveats I should know about before I begin?

Thanks!!!!
Foo