January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox-tech] Perl: A different approach to: Can I declare $main::...

On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 01:44:04PM -0500, Jay Strauss wrote:
> I'm using Getopt::Long, but I wanted some extra functionality.  So I wrote a
> wrapper that did some additional stuff (really good stuff).  Getopt::Long
> requires an address of a hash, and an array of program argument/option
> definitions.  So I can't use an ref to an anonymous hash, I need to declare
> a hash and pass the reference.  But my pgm is almost working but now I'm
> getting an "Can't use string ("1") as a SCALAR ref while "strict refs" in
> use".  Don't really know why (it should work).

I'm not sure there is any difference between the "address of a hash" and a
"ref to an [anonymous] hash".  Reading the Getopt::Long may clear that
up... and I did.  Getopt::Long requires a array of options, most commonly
a hash array.  ((1,2,3,4) is equivalent to (1=>2,3=>4))

This discussion is now pointless without seeing your code.  We're beyond
best practace and theory, and no closer to a solution.

Please post some code that demonstrates the error.

--
Ted Deppner
http://www.psyber.com/~ted/